Updating CyanogenMod on an encrypted Android phone
1. Download and install Universal ADB Drivers: https://github.com/koush/UniversalAdbDriver or http://adbdriver.com/downloads/
2. Download and install minimal ADB + Fastboot installation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
3. Open windows command prompt and go to folder when adb is installed - if in doubt SHIFT + right click on a folder containing newly installed adb.exe and select "Open command window here".
Now there are easy way and hard way. Easy first:
4. Reboot the phone into recovery. For Galaxy S3 it's done using Volume Up + Power + Menu combination.
5. Select "install zip from sideload"
6. In adb shell type:
adb sideload C:\YourDownloads\cmXXXXXXXXXXX.zip
7. After installation is successful wipe cache partitions to prevent binary incompatibilities between Android releases:
- wipe cache partition
- wipe dalvik cache
8. Optional - you may want to install appropriate gapps package to enjoy google experiece on your phone/tablet: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
And a hard way:
4. Open adb shell
6. Mount data partition:
mount -t tmpfs none /data mkdir /data/media cd /data/media/
7. Open another adb terminal and run:
adb push UPDATE-FILE-YOU-DOWNLOADED /data/media
8. In recovery select install zip from sdcard -> select the name of the file you pushed to /data/media